Underlay is another important component for your pond building after pond liner. Propex® nonwoven geotextile underlays are manufactured from the extrusion of fibres which are then laid down on a manufacturing “bed” and then needle punched to entangle the fibres so that a dimensionally stable product is formed. Some additional thermal treatment is then applied to further improve the strength of the geotextile. Because of this manufacturing process, non-woven geotextiles are commonly used in applications of drainage, filtration and protection.
Polypropylene geotextiles are highly durable & resistant to all naturally occurring soil acids and alkalis, and unaffected by fungi or bacteria. Geotextile underlay is placed underneath your pond liner to prevent punctures from rough or rocky ground (e.g., those with volcanic stones). In addition to offering puncture resistance, underlay also allows the gases beneath your pond to escape, rather than becoming trapped and causing gas bubbles underneath your pond liner. An Underlay is also handy for when you are looking to install larger rocks in your pond, placed in between the pond liner and the rock for additional protection.
Firestone Installation Guidelines require that the liner must be protected against slashing from hard sharp particles of 5mm or greater size. Consider also the possible damage by a falling tree branch or the slashing from a diving kookaburra or egret for a fish. To do this Firestone recommend minimum 250gsm non-woven geotextile. The acceptable alternative is to have a substrate of aggregate-free clay or sand.
At Rock Around The Block, we supply charcoal black coloured Propex® Geotextiles - See product data sheet on each product supplied as:
- Propex AS501 grade 170gsm (2m & 4m widths x 200m length rolls or cut to length off the roll). Gives clean worksite and some protection.
- Propex AS801 grade 272gsm (2m & 4m widths x 115m length rolls or cut to length off the roll). Gives Firestone specified protection over & above the recommended 250gsm plus a clean worksite.
- As membrane protection
- Clean worksite to prevent contamination of EPDM liner seaming & detailing processes
- Stabilisation of driveways or terraces with slabs
- As an impact sound suppression material under flooring
- For drainage - geotextile medium under temporary roads, permanent roads, parking areas and paths
- As a protective cover over building materials
Also use Propex Geotextiles as an interlayer to avoid surface scratches. Use it in your sand box to separate sand from the soil. Use it as a wind shield, or to line your flower boxes. Even use it in the boot of the car as carpet - the list is endless. Also make sure you get the necessary seaming & detailing acessories. For expert advise call 1300 733 113 to speak with one of our freindly staff member at Rock Around The Block
Geotextile Underlay Fabric