Pond UVC Biological Filters Australia. Welcome to Australia's pond biological filter experts! We can offer you over 26 years of experience in pond water management.
What's in this category? Lots of pond filters, pond UVC filters, pond filter & pump packaged deals, pond pump & filter & UVC as integrated or all-in-one units, along with spare parts & consumables.
Brands include Hozelock Cyprio, Hozelock EasyClear & Hozelock Bioforce Revolution
What's the pond filter for? A healthy pond is a balanced small ecosystem. It will suffer from the high & low extremes of the climate & become toxic with fish manure & decaying organic matter with a resulting stress on the water. The pond filter & UVC unit is a compact biological ecosystem which helps manage the health & clarity of the pond water.
What's the alternative? A pond with at least 25% of the surface area covered with water plants along with a pebbly stream and cascading splashing water for aeration. Koi carp fish varieties may still stress this natural pond method.
A few tips for correct pond management:
- A pond biological UVC filter is actually a sewage treatment plant for your pond. It should not be considered a vacuum cleaner.
- This vessel must work dirty, but be porous. It should only ever have clear, solids-free as possible, potentially toxic water pass through it for treatment by the UVC light and the beneficial bacteria living within the vessel.
- Do not wash out a biofilter because you think it is dirty. Pond foams & media must only be washed in non-chlorinated water (say pond water) & only when choked. The pump must be switched back on within a few hours to prevent major loss of the bacteria from oxygen starvation.
- The pump should be mounted well off the pond floor to reduce the solids intake and also to allow higher oxygenated water to be pumped through the biological system. Oxygen means healthier beneficial bacteria. The water on the floor of the pond contains much lower levels of oxygen.
- Removing debris from the pond is a separate issue. When removing debris from the pond, the pump must be switched off to prevent stirred-up mud from being drawn into the Bio-filter. This smothers the bacteria.
Manage your pond as above. Keep the fish to low stock levels. The pond will be a pleasure & low maintenance.